Frequently Asked Questions
1) Is Feldenkrais a kind of therapy?
- Feldenkrais is technically a teaching method, not a psychological or physical therapy. The goals of Feldenkrais can be similar to the goals of some therapies – we want to change how the body moves and feels. The distinction is that we affect change through learning. If you come in with a particular set of pains, and through receiving specific information through touch and through your own movement, and if an effect of that is that your movement is different and your body feels different, it is because your brain learned something that changed what you do.
2) What am I learning?
- What you learn in Feldenkrais is fundamentally different from what is learned in most educational environments. When babies learn to move, they are not consciously aware that they are really learning anything. They could not explain it to us if we asked, but it is obvious that they can do more than before. Developmental movement learning changes parts of the brain that learn in a special way – it is experiential and requires certain kinds of input. The Feldenkrais Method is designed to give the brain the right stimulation through touch and movement so that it changes how a person’s muscles are used. This helps a person become more relaxed, stronger, etc.
3) How often should I have FI sessions?
- At the beginning I recommend having FIs every two weeks, but at least once a month. After you start to feel more like how you would prefer, you can have more time in between session. I have discounts for clients who come more frequently – $5 off if you come within a month of a previous session, and $10 off if you come within two weeks.
- Doing ATMs by attending classes or doing them on your own makes having frequent FIs less important. Some of my regular clients come once every six months and mostly do Feldenkrais on their own. For more about ATMs, click here.
4) Do you teach regular ATM classes?
- Currently, no. I will be holding regular classes at my home studio eventually. If you would be interested, please email me.
If this page doesn’t answer a question you have, email it to me and I will be happy to respond!
For more reading, check out my blog.