Frequently Asked Questions
1) Is Feldenkrais a kind of therapy?
- Feldenkrais wrote “It must be learned and remembered that we are concerned with ‘acture’ and ..not a manner of fixing oneself…”. The method is concerned with improving the use of self through somatic (“of the body”) education. This can be similar to the goals of some therapies, though Feldenkrais is not a therapy. By “acture” Feldenkrais means that what we call posture is actually an activity, and all activity can be improved through learning. That learning happens through a combination of touch, conversation, and movement.
2) What am I learning?
- What you learn in Feldenkrais is fundamentally different from what is learned in most educational environments. When babies learn to move, they are not consciously aware that they are really learning anything. They could not explain it to us if we asked, but it is obvious that they can do more than before. Developmental movement learning changes parts of the brain that learn in a special way – it is experiential and requires certain kinds of input. The Feldenkrais Method is designed to give the brain the right stimulation through touch and movement so that it changes how a person’s muscles are used. This helps a person become more relaxed, stronger, etc.
3) How often should I have FI sessions?
- At the beginning I recommend having FIs every week or two, but at least once a month. After you start to feel more like how you would prefer, you can have more time in between sessions. I have discounts for clients who come more frequently – $5 off if you come within a month of a previous session, and $10 off if you come within two weeks.
- Doing ATMs by attending classes or doing them on your own makes having frequent FIs less important. Some of my regular clients come once every six months and mostly do Feldenkrais on their own. For more about ATMs, click here.
4) Do you teach regular ATM classes?
- Yes. Visit the Awareness Through Movement page for more information.
5) I can’t come to ATM classes, but want to do them. What do I do?
- You can purchase recordings of my classes in the ATM Shop. You can also find ATM recordings on other sites – visit the Awareness Through Movement page for more information.
If this page doesn’t answer a question you have, email it to me and I will be happy to respond!
For more reading, check out my blog.